Pre-Post Surgical In Corpus Christi
Surgeons routinely refer post-surgical patients to our physical therapists to help them recover strength, function and mobility.
Our therapists provide one-on-one, evidence-based physical therapy treatment sessions to help facilitate your recovery and return to activities of daily living (ADLs), work, recreational activities and even competitive sports.
The rehabilitative process depends on the injury and type of surgery. We help patients recover and rehabilitate from a variety of orthopedic post-operative procedures, including:
- Knee, hip and shoulder joint replacements
- Reconstruction of any one or more of the four major knee ligaments: anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial collateral ligament (MCL), posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) and lateral collateral ligament (LCL)
- Arthroscopic knee surgeries (such as meniscectomies, meniscal repairs)
- Ligament and tendon repair, including Achilles tendon repairs
- Arthroscopic hip surgeries (such as labral repairs)
- Nerve releases (such as cubital tunnel, radial tunnel, carpal tunnel, tarsal tunnel)
- Neck and back surgery (such as fusions, laminectomy, decompression and discectomy)
- Nerve compression release
- Bone or joint fusion (arthrodesis)
- Tendon transfers
- Surgical fixation of fractures, including open reduction and internal fixation (ORIF), a two-part surgery used to fix broken bones where the broken bone is reduced (put back into place) and an internal fixation device is placed on the bone (e.g., screws, plates, rods or pins) to hold the bone together
- Shoulder post-surgical recovery for rotator cuff tears, labral tears, superior labrum anterior and posterior (SLAP) tear or lesion, arthroscopy and more
Some of the therapies used to accomplish the goal of regaining movement and reducing pain, swelling and stiffness may include one or more of the following:
- Manual therapy
- Soft tissue and/or joint mobilization
- Muscle energy
- Gait and balance training
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) – electrical muscle & nerve stimulation
- Therapeutic exercise and functional strength training
- Functional re-education
- Rehabilitative exercises to help increase strength, endurance, motion, balance and coordination
What is pre-surgical rehabilitation?
The benefits of pre-surgical rehabilitation have been proven to be numerous for patients undergoing surgery. Talking to one of our physical therapists will help you determine the best treatment plan for you in order to get the best results.
You will be able to recover your normal function faster if you are strong, flexible, healthy, and mobile. Pre-hab programs allow you to create a positive routine you are familiar with before the surgery and you can use to help you recover faster.
What will a post-surgical treatment program do for me in Corpus Christi?
Your doctor may recommend pain relief drugs. However, physical therapy can relieve pain without them being necessary. While painkillers mask the pain, physical therapy addresses the root cause of the problem. This can be achieved using specialized techniques and modalities as well as home exercise programs.
Our team of specialists can help with any type of surgery. Our physical therapists will devise a treatment plan which will include targeted stretching and exercises that will help you get back to your daily activities.
Even after your post-surgical rehabilitation treatments, we are committed to ensuring that you live a healthy lifestyle. Part of your treatment plan will include information on how to make lifestyle and/or nutrition changes that can improve your long-term health and prevent you from injuring yourself in the future.
Physical limitations may occur in the weeks and days following surgery. Your physical therapist will be able to advise you on how to adjust to these limitations. For example, how to get up and down stairs, change clothes and get in and out of a car. You can use adaptive tools to help compensate for your reduced movement. These adjustments will allow you to move comfortably and restore your normal range of motion.
Physical Therapy in Corpus Christi is a great way to prepare for your surgery
Our team can help you if you’re considering surgery. We are committed to offering you the best physical therapy options.
It is important to start as soon as possible for the best results. To ensure a smoother procedure and a shorter recovery time, schedule your appointment now.
Request An Appointment
Please fill out this form and
we will contact you about scheduling.
“I love the therapists here! They have excellent one on one therapy and truly take the time to get to know their clientele. They customize your care to your specific needs and are willing to edit it to fit you as needed – They check in with you at the beginning of each appointment to make sure of your needs for that day in case anything changes. I highly recommend them!
*The therapist I worked with most was Bianca, she made the tiresome work to care for and heal my body way more fun! (Though, they are all incredible!)”
“The staff and therapists at Avila Physical Therapy are great. I’m always greeted with a warm smile from everyone. The therapists are knowledgeable as well as caring. They guide you through your therapy process to achieve the goals set forth by you and your doctor. And not pushed like a personal trainer. I just don’t think you can go wrong when you use Avila for whatever your therapy needs are.”